Friday, May 22, 2015

Transfers!! (May 5th)

Hey everybody!!

So as I mentioned last week, transfers are here once again.  I found out last night that I will  be staying here in Stockton for another transfer!  I am really excited to be able to be here.  Things are finally picking up in our area and I know I would have been really sad to leave at this point.  I will be getting a new companion though.  I am so sad to see Hermana Ka'a'a leaving. This transfer has just been so awesome! It we have gotten along so well, have worked hard, and have been able to see the Lord's hand in the work.  My new companion will be Hermana Sellers. I am excited to be working with her and to see what new things this next transfer holds.

So this week has been really crazy but super awesome! Last week on Thursday, we came out of a dinner appointment and looked at our phone and we had four missed calls from someone that was in our phone but that we didn't know.  We called the Lady back right a way and come to find out I actually did know her.  She was an old investigator that Hermana Shawcroft and I had talked to once last transfer but had told us she was moving the next week to LA.  We asked her if she needed help moving but she said no and we never heard from her after that and we didn't go back because we had assumed she had moved. Well guess what, she didn't move!  Anyway, so when we called her she invited us to come eat but since we had already eaten we just went over to talk with her.  When we got there she basically told us that this last week there had been some things that had happened and that she new she needed to start investigating the church again and that she was ready....what!!! She then proceded to tell us that her 26 year old daughter had also been following the blog of some members and that she wanted to learn more about the church too.  On Sunday the mom, daughter, and the 16 year old son were at church and they have started reading the Book of Mormon and everything!  

They are so awesome and I am so grateful for the chance that I get to continue to work with them this next transfer and help them to receive personal confirmation that the Book of Mormon is true and to make that next step towards baptism.

The other investigator we have that is awesome is a lady we are teaching who is in her 70's.  She is the sweetest old lady.  She is basically the Latino version of Grandma Geertsen, but catholic, ha.  So we have been teaching her the last two weeks and it has been amazing to see how the spirit touches her.  One of the first things she mentioned when we met her is that she could see the peace and joy we have and that she wants that in her life.  She is so funny too, the first time we invited her to baptism we asked her that if she came to know if it is true if she would be baptized and she goes "No, I am catholic and I've already been baptized". Her daughter who was right there said yes she would and the mom goes "Really, not me." But then when we had the next lesson where we taught her about the Plan of Salvation, and agency, and Jesus Christ, we challenged her again she had changed her answer to a "Yes, if I find out it is true".  I know that the spirit has been preparing her and that through her desires and through reading the Book of Mormon and praying that she will receive her own answer that it is true.  I also cannot wait to continue to work with her!

There are so many other things that have been going on too and I wish I had more time to talk about them! Hopefully next week I can share some more about the members and their experiences with missionary work this week.

Before a go I just want to give a shout out to all of those mothers out there, especially mine!  I am so grateful to have had such a wonderful mother who has always done her best to teach me the simple truths of the gospel. I'm so grateful for her example and love.  One of my most prominent memories of her is how she always made it a priority to go to the temple.  I remember singing "I love to see the temple" every time we would drive past the Provo, Temple.  I know it is because of her that I have such a great love and appreciation for the temple.  I'm so grateful to for all of the other woman in my life that have been such wonderful examples to me and their motherly care.  I have a special prayer in my heart for all of those mothers out there, especially those who may be struggling.  I love you all and hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day!

I hope you all have a great week!

Love,

Hermana Carpenter
Ward Mission leader and his wife the Centenos

The Potters-an English family that works in our ward

No comments:

Post a Comment