Friday, December 5, 2014

The Lord Prepares His Children

What a wonderful week this week has been!

Thanksgiving was good despite being away from family and friends.  My companion and I ate with some English members, relaxed a bit, and also played a lot of soccer.  The soccer was probably my favorite part of the day. It was nice to run around and just have some fun with the other missionaries in my zone.  

I know it has only been a couple of days since I last wrote but a lot has happened since Thursday.  Okay, well maybe only one big thing, but still it is an awesome thing.  So backtrack to about a week ago...Hermana Poulsen and I were out trying to get to know our new area.  We were going to visit a lady that the previous Elders had met and at the same time were going to try and visit some potentials in the same area.  As we were looking at the list one of the names caught our eye because he lived on the same street as her. Perfect right?  Anyway, so after talking to the lady we went over to this house looking for a guy by the name of Chilo.  We get to the house knock on the door and a guy answers.  We ask if he's Chilo to which he says no.  He tells us that his name is Erminio and that he has just moved there (and to that we assumed that Chilo had moved) so we proceed to tell him who we are and why we are there and ask him if he'd like to learn more.  He said he'd love to learn more and was so excited to get the Book of Mormon and have the chance to read more of God's words to His children.  We talk to him a bit more and then make a return appointment. For the second appointment we return and follow up and he has done everything we have asked him and more.  He didn't just read what we gave him but he studied it over and over again until he could understand it (what an example to each of us right?) So we give him more challenges to read and pray and then we return again on Friday.  At this point I have to admit I was a little worried, I kept thinking that this was too good to be true. I kept reminding myself though to have faith that it was real and that this guy really just has that strong of a spirit and desire.  

Anyway so we start our lesson and once again he has done everything we have asked and studied it and has questions and everything. One of the passages we had given him to study was on baptism and we basically didn't even need to ask him because he kept telling us that if the Lord was baptized then it was something that He needed to do.  We extended him the invitation though and his answer was yes!  Actually to be precise it was "porque no" or basically why wouldn't I be baptized.  I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.  I am pretty sure that is the best answer you can receive from an investigator about baptism. We set a date with him for Jan. 10 and are so excited to work with him towards that date!

Also he attended church on Sunday and he literally was the cutest.  When we showed up at his house with the member who was going to drive him he was all spiffed up.  Even though he didn't have any of the church clothes that we wear you could tell that he wanted to give his best to the Lord.  His hair was slicked, he had a button up shirt with the best sweater thing he could find over it.  He also had his best jeans and shoes on.  It was amazing to see the change in him!  He also had his Book of Mormon and Restoration pamphlet.  He was ready to go.  

This experience this week has really shown me how there are people out there that the Lord has prepared to hear His gospel.  Erminios heart is so open and because of that He has been able to feel the spirit touch his heart and he has the desire to learn more and to do God's will.  It's an example to me of why this work is so important and why we as missionaries and as members should always be looking for opportunities to share the gospel.  We never know who the Lord may have prepared and if we don't open our mouths, those that are ready for the gospel may not hear it!  It taught me also that I need to have more faith in the Lord and also in His children.  Yes there are a lot of people out there that don't want to open up their hearts and hear His message but at the same time their are many out there who are searching for the truth.  Finding those people that are ready makes all of the rejections and let downs so worth it.  

I know that the Lord loves all of His children and I know that He wants them all to return to live with Him.  I also know that it is our responsibility to help this to happen.  I love being a missionary and I love the gospel and sharing it message of hope, love, and change.  I hope that this week we will all ask the Lord to open our spiritual eyes to those who may be ready to hear the gospel and then open our mouths when we see them!

Have a a wonderful week!

Love,

Hermana Carpenter
Me and my companion Hermana Poulsen

No comments:

Post a Comment